Monday, October 18, 2010

A Philosopher and the Saint

Once a philosopher went to a saint and asked him: "Why do people call you saint ?"

" Out of love and respect ," he answered, " I am a sinner as they are, and have been saved only by God's grace." Then the philosopher asked: " If that is so, then what difference is there between you and other people?"

The saint said: " Perhaps you remember that Socrates said he had come to know that he knew nothing. Then he was asked if he, as a philosopher knew nothing, what difference there was then between him and ignorant men.Socrates replied: 'At least I know that I know noting , but they do not even know that they knew nothing .'

" Such said the saint ," is the difference between me and other people.I know I am a sinner; but they do not even know that they are sinners, so they are a careless and indifferent about their salvation."


--
Sadhu Sundar Singh

No comments: